Skip to main content

"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

It's been a stressful month. Since 5 weeks ago, I've been pretty much away from running due to air pollution and a few health problems. Of which some can be serious. I am not talking about those issues here -at least for now- but I'd assure you I am not making excuses. There is no point in doing so.

Since I started running, my definition of many concepts in life has changed. When you leave your comfort zone, pain is no longer something to be scared of but a sign that you're on the right track. What sounded impossible is now something achievable, something to make you motivated.

Running means a lot to me. It has simply changed my life. When I started running, I was overweight, absolutely out of shape and a heavy drinker (Although I wouldn't agree with this back then). And now after more than three years of running, I cannot imagine myself not running. Running has taken me to a lot of places I would never go if I wasn't a runner. I experienced life in a whole new way. Enjoyed every bit of hard training and sacrifices that I made. Now that it has transformed my life, I don't like to get back to my previous life. I don't want to be overweight again. This is why being away from running really hurts.

I have missed a few training sessions. I am not quite prepared for my next marathon. I am not able to run neither as fast nor as far as I'd like to. But I am determined to keep going. I am not quite fit but I am quite excited to run another marathon. Running - in addition to everything brought to my life - is something that keeps me alive.

The title is a quote by Haruki Murakami, read in "What I talk about when I talk about running"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eiger Ultra Trail 2014; 101km of mud, rocks and sweat

"Run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must. Just never give up" Dean Karnazas Last Saturday and Sunday I ran the Eiger Ultra Trail, a 101 km ultramarathon with more than 6700 metres of elevation gain. I arrived in Grindelwald on Thursday and went to collect my bib number on Friday morning. The race organisation was quite good for a race in this size. There was a strict equipment check at the bib number distribution which I appreciated during the race. They asked every runner to bring all the mandatory gear listed on the website in order to collect the bibs. Apart from the bib numbers we were handed out a plastic cup in order not to use many disposable cups along the way. There was also a reflective band which we had to wear after 9:30 pm. The mandatory gear that should be carried along the way Weighs around 4kg (including 1.5L of water) Pasta was served from 12 to 7 pm and there was a briefing session on Friday evening at congress centre which ev

Cappadocia ultra trail, the first DNF

Just a quick note on Cappadocia ultra trail. For the first time ever I had to drop out of a race. That happened at 77th km due to severe pain in shin area and dropping the body tempreature and shivering. DNF ( stands for Did Not Finish) really hurts. There are lessons to be learned and I'm going to write a detailed post on this one. 

On over-reaching your goal: The Eiger Ultra Trail E101, 18-19 July 2015

It is 47 km into the race and I'm  walking downhill through a forest towards Burglauenen. It's been a great race so far.  I passed the last check point (Faulhorn, the highest point of the race) 15 minutes before my expected time and enjoyed running downhill to Schynige platte.  A few minutes ago, when I approached a corner on this muddy terrain,  a sharp pain hit my left knee so badly that forced me to stop. I cannot run anymore, I am using my walking sticks to take some weigth off my knee and slowly walking down. I could have run this part of the race quite fast and effortless if my knee didn't hurt. Through my training, I put so much effort to master my downhill running technique and I was quite confident in it that I'd consider it as one of my strength points. It hurts a lot when you have trained a lot and on race day you just cannot perform well. In fact that is hurting much more than my sore knee. As I am limping cautiously, there are many runners passing by, mos