Skip to main content

What happened in Davos - Swissalpine C42 marathon, 28 July 2012

"If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon." Emil Zatopek

As many of you know by now, after almost two years of running, I went all the way to Davos, Switzerland to run my first marathon in late July. 

Davos is the highest city of Europe. The population is just around 13000. It is among the most popular destinations for skiing  in winters. Swissalpine consisting of several different races is a major event gathering some 5000 runners from all around the world in late July.

K78, C42 and K30 races start at Davos Stadium at 7am. I arrived there at 6:30, run for a few minutes to warm up and made my way to the starting line a few minutes before 7. Standing at the start line of my first marathon with almost 1500 other runners was a unique experience.






The race started at precise 0700 hrs. The first 5 kilometers was a loop through Davos. People were standing on pavement and cheering for runners by ringing bells and shouting Hopp Hopp! Everyone was cheering, from people who were watching the race from their balcony to Davos hospital staff and a few patients who were standing in front of the hospital.

 Looking fresh at the beginning
 An artwork along the way

After passing the 10km mark there was an uphill road that was almost the steepest part of the race. And soon after that the asphalt bit of the course finished and we ran the most of the remaining distance on trail.


Stunning landscape 
 Quite dark tunnels
At some points we had to walk
Still enjoying the run
 Close to 30km mark

After passing the 30km mark. The K30 race finished and almost one kilometer after that K78 and C42 routes devided and the last 11km of the race was very quite. And I have to tell you it was not easy anymore. 



And finally crossing the finish line in Tiefencastel in 4:08.



When I started running, I didn't even dream of running a marathon. But here I am, standing at the finish line. Absolutely chuffed!

It was not easy I have to admit. I found the last 3-5km really tough and painful. I had sore muscles and joints for a few days after. But now I am planning my next marathon. Yes, already!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eiger Ultra Trail 2014; 101km of mud, rocks and sweat

"Run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must. Just never give up" Dean Karnazas Last Saturday and Sunday I ran the Eiger Ultra Trail, a 101 km ultramarathon with more than 6700 metres of elevation gain. I arrived in Grindelwald on Thursday and went to collect my bib number on Friday morning. The race organisation was quite good for a race in this size. There was a strict equipment check at the bib number distribution which I appreciated during the race. They asked every runner to bring all the mandatory gear listed on the website in order to collect the bibs. Apart from the bib numbers we were handed out a plastic cup in order not to use many disposable cups along the way. There was also a reflective band which we had to wear after 9:30 pm. The mandatory gear that should be carried along the way Weighs around 4kg (including 1.5L of water) Pasta was served from 12 to 7 pm and there was a briefing session on Friday evening at congress centre which ev

Cappadocia ultra trail, the first DNF

Just a quick note on Cappadocia ultra trail. For the first time ever I had to drop out of a race. That happened at 77th km due to severe pain in shin area and dropping the body tempreature and shivering. DNF ( stands for Did Not Finish) really hurts. There are lessons to be learned and I'm going to write a detailed post on this one. 

On over-reaching your goal: The Eiger Ultra Trail E101, 18-19 July 2015

It is 47 km into the race and I'm  walking downhill through a forest towards Burglauenen. It's been a great race so far.  I passed the last check point (Faulhorn, the highest point of the race) 15 minutes before my expected time and enjoyed running downhill to Schynige platte.  A few minutes ago, when I approached a corner on this muddy terrain,  a sharp pain hit my left knee so badly that forced me to stop. I cannot run anymore, I am using my walking sticks to take some weigth off my knee and slowly walking down. I could have run this part of the race quite fast and effortless if my knee didn't hurt. Through my training, I put so much effort to master my downhill running technique and I was quite confident in it that I'd consider it as one of my strength points. It hurts a lot when you have trained a lot and on race day you just cannot perform well. In fact that is hurting much more than my sore knee. As I am limping cautiously, there are many runners passing by, mos