Skip to main content

Endurance sports, the first experience

While I was looking for Dubai marathon official photos, I found that marathon-photos still holds some photos of me back in 2009. As I lost all my digital data in mid 2010 I didn't have any copy of these photos I got the hold of them.These are taken in June 2009 during Northern Rock Cyclone. There were three different routes to chose from (31, 62 and 100 miles). I did cycle the 62-mile route and that was my first experience in endurance sports.



























Back then I used to ride my bike everyday for transport and getting fit.  On weekends I would cycle from Newcastle to Tynemouth and come back. I got to know John - one of my cyclist friends who has cycled across country and beyond a couple of times - and had a couple of training sessions with him. The longest distance I had ever gone on a bike before this event was around 30 miles. So tacking 62 miles sounded like a big challenge at the time.
The start and finish line of the all races was in Kingston Park Stadium.  As I said before I would usually use my bike for transport, so I cycled to the start line which was around 10 miles away from home. I was not an experience cyclist at all and needless to say I was overweight and you can clearly see that I am not even wearing a helmet. (I still wonder how they let me ride that day. I don't remember any other cyclist without a helmet). I had no time goal whatsoever , neither I had a specific strategy to finish the race. I just wanted to cross the finish line.
There were several hills along the course and the worst were a couple of back to back punishing hills in the last quarter of the race (I do not remember the course completely, so if you are thinking of attending this event you better watch the course profile). When I got to that uphill part I saw a few cyclists who were walking and pushing their bikes. That was when I decided no matter how bad I feel or how slowly I move I would never step down. Those were the moments that I experience the real struggle for the first time. The first time that I was challenging myself to endure. And as I climbed the second hill I could already feel the victory.
I crossed the finished line in 4:37 and cycled all the way back home. A year after that I started running (another endurance sport) and now running is an important part of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eiger Ultra Trail 2014; 101km of mud, rocks and sweat

"Run if you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must. Just never give up" Dean Karnazas Last Saturday and Sunday I ran the Eiger Ultra Trail, a 101 km ultramarathon with more than 6700 metres of elevation gain. I arrived in Grindelwald on Thursday and went to collect my bib number on Friday morning. The race organisation was quite good for a race in this size. There was a strict equipment check at the bib number distribution which I appreciated during the race. They asked every runner to bring all the mandatory gear listed on the website in order to collect the bibs. Apart from the bib numbers we were handed out a plastic cup in order not to use many disposable cups along the way. There was also a reflective band which we had to wear after 9:30 pm. The mandatory gear that should be carried along the way Weighs around 4kg (including 1.5L of water) Pasta was served from 12 to 7 pm and there was a briefing session on Friday evening at congress centre which ev

Swissalpine K78. On running my first ultra

“How to run an ultramarathon ? Puff out your chest, put one foot in front of the other, and don't stop till you cross the finish line.”   Dean Karnazes Last week I made my way to Davos to run the Swissalpine K78. Davos is where I ran my first marathon last year and this year I was there to run my first ultra. Davos is the place where it all started. It's the place where I met many runners and heard their inspirational stories.   We arrived in Davos (That's Samer, a good friend of mine from Belgium who came to Davos to run the K21 and myself) on Thursday morning and went to the expo. Collected the race numbers and had a look around the expo. This is one of my favourite parts of any race. You get to know other runners, races and latest products. At the expo, with the bib numbers The day before the race started by going up Jakobshorn where we met Franz, a truly inspirational man. He's started running when he was 60 and now at the age of 73 he's run numer

Cappadocia ultra trail, the first DNF

Just a quick note on Cappadocia ultra trail. For the first time ever I had to drop out of a race. That happened at 77th km due to severe pain in shin area and dropping the body tempreature and shivering. DNF ( stands for Did Not Finish) really hurts. There are lessons to be learned and I'm going to write a detailed post on this one.